Spring is an ideal time to work on home improvement projects. The weather is more pleasant and predictable, and it will be easier for contractors to spot and fix any signs of damage. Specialists are more comfortable working on the project. They are less likely to compromise job quality due to discomfort caused by unfavorable climate conditions. Among the wide selection of home improvement projects, replacing your windows is a good start. As winter gives way to spring, one of the first things you should do once the weather clears is check how your home stood up against the cold. You can then have repairs done as needed. Here are some of the most important tasks you should prioritize this spring:
1. Check your door and window hardware – Start by checking your windows and exterior doors, and make sure the hardware is easy to operate. This includes hinges, hand cranks and locks. Dry lubricant is ideal for most hardware, but be sure to check the care and maintenance guide, or call your contractor to see if they have a different recommendation
2. Clean your gutters – Gutters prevent rainwater from pooling around the foundation, preventing irreparable damage. Ideally, you should clean the gutters at least twice a year. If you don’t have cleaning and safety equipment, hire professional gutter cleaners. Consider investing in gutter protection systems that prevent leaves and debris from getting into the gutters.
3. Inspect your roof – As soon as the weather clears, inspect your roof for signs of damage. You can inspect your roof safely from the ground using a good pair of binoculars. Note any signs of damage or of old age, and then contact your roofing contractor for a quote on repairs. A well-maintained roof helps prevent bigger problems down the line.
4. Clean the doors and windows – Dirty windows, French doors and sliding doors are easily noticeable from the curb, so keeping them clean can actually boost your home’s curb appeal. The great thing about Renewal by Andersen® replacement windows and patio doors is that the High-Performance™ Low-E4® glass, along with our frame materials, is virtually maintenance-free, and it can be cleaned with just water and a sponge. In fact, cleaning all of them can take just one afternoon on an average-sized home.
5. Scrape and repaint – Siding and other areas in the house may need a fresh coat of paint. It doesn’t just improve your home’s looks, but also prevents possible moisture entry points, helping minimize the chances of water damage. Fortunately, Renewal by Andersen replacement windows and patio doors have factory-applied finishes that don’t require repainting, letting you focus on other areas.
If you would like to learn more about the low-maintenance properties of our Renewal by Andersen replacement windows and patio doors, call Richmond Window Corp. today. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule a free in-home consultation. We serve many areas in and near Richmond, VA.